Help with Assessment

Melissa Dermody
This post was updated on .
Hi. Took the training about a month ago and now that I am getting ready to assess (later than I had planned) I don't remember anything. I just put some of the student assessment packets (the tab dividers) into binders. Now what? Just start at the first page and assess? The PLOP gets filled out after assessments right? Also I haven't trained my IAs or given them the link to the online info. Is it just the website? I thought I needed a login but I do t have one. Lastly, one of my spiral assessment books starts on page Roman numeral v i. And there's not a student information sheet.  Is there anyway for a classroom visit from someone?

Help with Assessment

Styer-Fitz
Administrator
Hi, Melissa. Thank you for your post! The assessment process can be a bit overwhelming at first, to say the least! Especially after just two full days of intensive training. Keep in mind that this is the only time you will need to assess all students in all areas all at one time while learning a brand new curriculum. We promise you it gets easier!

That being said, we recommend that you access the training videos on our website by logging in. The instructions for logging on to our website are on the Useful Information page that was included in your Teaching Package with the flash drive. Our records indicate that you have already registered on the website. So if you log in with your email and password, you will have access to not only the training videos, but also the Shared Resources. If you are still unable to log in, please email info@sdesworks.com directly. Your IAs/paraeducators are able to register as well. Once their registration is approved, they'll have access.

We specifically recommend Video 3: The Assessment. The training video is quite comprehensive and should answer most of your questions. If you still have questions, please don't hesitate to post them on the forum.

Regarding your assessment book, we sometimes come across printer errors that we're unaware of until someone brings it to our attention. We will email you the missing pages right away. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Please keep us posted as you continue the assessment process. We are committed to helping educators get off on the right foot as they begin implementation.

Thank you!

Re: Help with Assessment

Melissa Dermody
Thanks.  I received the table of contents pages very quickly.  I have given portions of the assessment to some of my students.  I have to say assessing is difficult when the student doesn't visually attend to what is going on or continually takes and throws or eats the materials.   I feel a little silly/mean giving a low performing student in colors, shapes, literacy a more complex content like calculator or time telling.  But I guess it is just to have formal documentation of their ability.  It is also hard to find time to assess students and to train staff.  Do I just let the other students have free choice and take one student to another room to assess? My goal was to have all students assessed on the more basic content areas before Curriculum night next Thursday.  We shall see.  The secondary goal is to have all students assessed completely prior to October 1st.  Is there a parent info sheet that I can hand out at Curriculum night? I have students in grades K-5th.

Thanks.

Re: Help with Assessment

Styer-Fitz
Administrator
Great questions!
We hope that you got some of your questions answered when you spoke with Dr. Styer. Here are a couple ideas for working with students 1:1.
1) Create some independent work boxes with tasks that reinforce the skills your student is working on. Because these are skills your student already possess, it should be something they can work on independently. If they need to first work on independence, you might consider having them work at a table with another staff person who is working 1:1 with a student. Once they have learned how to complete a task on their own, I would encourage you to have them move to an “independent” area. Once you create several work task boxes or folders, you will have a collection that can be used with current and future students.
2) If you have iPads in your classroom, please see Shared Resources for a list of educational apps that teachers have found reinforce the skills in the Styer-Fitzgerald Program. Some teachers have three students at a table with them at one time. Two students are working on educational apps while the teacher or paraeducator is working 1:1 with a student. Once they finish their trials, the teacher/paraeducator switches students and moves iPads around.

We have added a file to Shared Resources under Helpful Forms that is suitable to present to parents. You can add your own cover letter and use all or part of the file to give parents information about the Program.
Hope this helps!