Reading Levels

Styer-Fitzgerald

Janet recently sent this question to the authors:

I use the Styer-Fitzgerald Functional Academics Testing for Secondary students being assessed in my classroom. Could you tell me the reading level of the story that is used to assess the “wh” questions that go with the story?

Candice Styer responded:

We don’t usually assign a grade level to the skills that we test but rather provide a skill level (i.e., level 4 for when, who, where and level 5 for additional what and why questions). However, answering "wh" questions is typically a grade 1-2 skill depending on the complexity of the materials. If your students test beyond our level 5, I would suggest a supplemental program such as Reading 180. This program provides relatively age-appropriate materials in a simpler format.